The Student News Site of Belen Jesuit Preparatory School

Vincam

Filed under News, Opinion, Showcase

Protesters keep fighting government in Venezuela

Our geographical compatriot, Venezuela, is undergoing a complete and utter dictatorship yet minimal governmental action has been called upon it. Negligible statements on behalf of political leaders and activist groups have dismally become the epicenter of local media attention to the formerly prominent contingency. Ongoing global corruptions have lamentably left the Venezuelan nation secluded from major international affairs; a seclusion which leaves little to inform on one of the worlds fastest diminishing economies.

Since the beginnings of April, however, the Venezuelan people have fought for a change; for a democracy. A situation which was originally sparked by the unconstitutional government order to disband the National Assembly has now exponentiated into an outright crisis. Oppositional partakers in protest have been put down by national guards whom consistently operate through the use of illicit chemical weaponry and brute force. This overpowering mentality has taken a toll as nearly 40 lives have been taken at the hands of these supposed enforcers of safety; a position which has consequently been defamed as a result of their actions. In spite of it all, they manage to find justification in their forthcomings so to further increase resentful sentiments. It would correct to state their sole intentions lie in subduing the opposition; one which prides itself in maintaining peaceful reform only to be shamelessly deprived of their rights. That is still not all she wrote however as the government has maintained the outright audacity in labelling these individuals as insurgents fighting to bring end to the so called “Revolución”. This is a term which can only be defined as the governments measly excuse for taking away basic human rights and needs.

Despite having been on this insurmountably abysmal path to destruction, the people have fought back now more than ever. This passion is fueled by the love of their country and hope for a better future. A future where their own children can grow up just like they did in their infancy; through a safe and friendly ambient. For now, however, this remains an illusive hope constantly tarnished by deteriorating economic stability and violence. In spite of all these protests, the current president, Nicolas Maduro, has blatantly laughed at the opposition and disparaged them for their efforts, further increasing individual will to take the streets. It is fairly safe to say that what was once an overwhelmingly proficient nation, now sits on the brink of a civil war; an impending doom.

• Protesters keep fighting government in Venezuela

Community

Student Council President Looks to the Year Ahead

News

North Korea-U.S. Tensions Rise

News

And That’s a Wrap!

News

Welcome to belenvincam.com!

News

Congressional Debate at Belen Last Semester: Historic and Inspiring

News

Ignatian Walls Inspire and Amaze

News

Big Moves Around Campus

Community

Deacon O'Malley's Inspiring Thoughts

Jesus Needs You!

Deacon O'Malley's Inspiring Thoughts

The Job Applicant