The Student News Site of Belen Jesuit Preparatory School

Vincam

Filed under News, Showcase

And That’s a Wrap!

Tombola 2017 brought changes and raised more funds than ever before.

This year’s Tombola weekend was not one to be forgotten. It was distinct in its layout, and it aimed to reach the largest goal set forth yet.  This year’s Tombola raked in $578,148.27, surpassing last year’s amount by $75,000. These funds go towards paying for tuition costs so that students can continue to be Belen Jesuit educated. Tombola 2017 was not only a massive financial success, but it was also was a reminder of the abundant amount of love and pride that there is for our school. This year’s festivities featured Tombola classics like the Culinary Extravaganza, but also saw the arrival of new traditions like the Go Pig or Go Home Competition, which pitted homerooms from each grade level against each other. As previously mentioned, the layout of Tombola this year was another one of its distinct aspects.

The different layout was due to the ongoing construction of the new aquatic center and cafeteria. These projects have taken over much of what has been Tombola grounds for many years. With these conditions, a new layout for the 163-year-old carnival was born. The final decision was to move the rides to where the current parking lot is and to have booths and vendors flow throughout from the plaza in front of the Roca Theater to the Garrido Family Plaza (Central Patio). While it was a bit more compact than usual, it seemed to have been a blessing in disguise.

As Fr. Willie mentioned in his “Thank You” email that was sent out on February 28th, the 2017 Tombola layout will be repeated “next year and for years to come.” After speaking to many parents in particular, the main consensus was that the lack of muddy areas was one of the many positives when it came to the new layout. Several students also said that they preferred the more compact and tight-knit arrangement. On the other hand, the limited space did become apparent, especially at night, when crowds began to gather and fill up the main areas. Nonetheless, it is safe to say that this year’s Tombola was filled with positive energy and celebration that lasted all weekend long. Don’t forget to let us know if you liked the new layout in the poll below!

Did you like the layout of Tombola 2017 better than that of previous years?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

• And That’s a Wrap!

News

Protesters keep fighting government in Venezuela

• And That’s a Wrap!

Community

Student Council President Looks to the Year Ahead

• And That’s a Wrap!

News

North Korea-U.S. Tensions Rise

• And That’s a Wrap!

News

Welcome to belenvincam.com!

• And That’s a Wrap!

News

Congressional Debate at Belen Last Semester: Historic and Inspiring

• And That’s a Wrap!

News

Ignatian Walls Inspire and Amaze

• And That’s a Wrap!

News

Big Moves Around Campus

• And That’s a Wrap!

News

• And That’s a Wrap!

Community

• And That’s a Wrap!

Deacon O'Malley's Inspiring Thoughts

Jesus Needs You!

And That’s a Wrap!