The Student News Site of Belen Jesuit Preparatory School

Vincam

Filed under Opinion, Showcase

An Actor’s Experience in Landing a Role

Thespian Dustin Duprey tells of his musical journey as a cast member of "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum"

As a thespian, I am always looking for the next play or musical to join. I found out about “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum” last May, at the end of the year banquet for thespians. After the banquet ended, both Mr. Williams and Mr. Padura announced what shows the school would be showcasing during the following school year. When I heard “A Funny Thing Happened…” would be one of them, I got incredibly excited. For the next six months, I wish I could be saying that I rehearsed a song to prepare for the auditions. In reality, I didn’t even listen to the music from the show until one month before with my singing teacher. Thankfully, there were a lot of spots for male actors in the show, so I knew that if anything, I could get a background character. Of course, this didn’t mean I wouldn’t give it my all during the auditions to land the role of a main character.

The auditions were a whole other beast entirely. For the singing auditions, I honestly and wholeheartedly messed up. My voice cracked during the song I was singing, and I just felt awful afterwards. Imagine my surprise when I got called back for the dance auditions. I honestly thought it was a joke. Regardless, I showed up for the dance auditions, and I thought to myself, “Wow, that was the weirdest experience of my life.” Since I, myself, am not a dancer, I really didn’t know what I was in for, but I was not expecting that by the end of the night I’d have holes in my pants and bruises on my legs for weeks to come. It was scary, but honestly, incredibly fun. Two weeks later, I found out I’d be starring as Protean, alongside a very talented cast of actors, singers, and dancers. I was over the moon with my new role and completely dedicated myself to listening to the music and getting myself familiar with the show. I told Mr. Padura, fellow cast mates, and anyone else that would listen, just how excited I was. Annoying? Yes, but I honestly couldn’t help myself. The rehearsals were extremely hard; I’m not going to lie. There was constant movement for the proteans, which needed to be perfected. The singing was difficult and the movements were tough but it was so much fun. Everyone in the cast was understanding and likable as no matter who messed up we came together to make sure it was fixed. The tensions were high 24/7 for the cast mates and the director as the show neared and no matter how many rehearsals you have you never feel prepared. The opening show was the most hectic thing I have ever seen as an actor. The show onstage was going good, but backstage it was crazy. Everything was missing or misplaced, people were running around trying to get to there spots but we still pulled it all together. Now I wish I could say the same for the booth at the front of the theater, but that was going even crazier. Right after the beginning of the second act, there was a power outage for two minutes in which we all needed to be completely still for 2 minutes. That was hell, but after all of that the show went amazing. The hardest part of this show was saying goodbye to the amazingly talented seniors. Those seniors were family to me in so many ways and to say goodbye after their last show was incredibly hard and tear filled. The only saving grace was knowing that we had more weeks to come together and that they’d go to do amazing things. All together I’d say that Forum was the best experience I have ever had in my life, and the best show I have ever done. I thank the cast, crew, and faculty whole heartedly for that experience, and I couldn’t ask for anything more.

• An Actor’s Experience in Landing a Role

News

Protesters keep fighting government in Venezuela

Opinion

Political Dissidence Becomes Economic Dissidence

News

Congressional Debate at Belen Last Semester: Historic and Inspiring

Opinion

Coddling Students on College Campuses: A Frightening Trend

News

Community

Student Council President Looks to the Year Ahead

Deacon O'Malley's Inspiring Thoughts

Jesus Needs You!

Deacon O'Malley's Inspiring Thoughts

The Job Applicant

Deacon O'Malley's Inspiring Thoughts

Forgiveness Isn’t for Wimps

Expanding Your Listening

“Impossible Things”

An Actor’s Experience in Landing a Role