The Student News Site of Belen Jesuit Preparatory School

Vincam

Filed under News, Showcase

North Korea-U.S. Tensions Rise

First, it was Syria, then it was Iraq, now it’s North Korea. Some say that all of these military actions against these hostile or rivaling nations are threatening a nuclear war. This theory has recently expanded to include North Korea ever since April 15. On Saturday, a holiday military parade honoring the 105th birthday of the nation’s founder Kim II Sung exposed the North Korean military to the world, including never before seen missiles and special forces units. However, the real event that peaked North Korean-U.S tensions occurred the next day in a port city in eastern North Korea named Sinpo, but it lasted only a grand total of four to five seconds.

Although North Korea’s missile exploded shortly after launching, the mere attempt to develop and test missile technology that the American State Department described as “prohibited” has put the U.S on high alert. In response, the U.S Navy dispatched the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson strike group to the region this weekend to accompany the 28,500 troops already stationed in South Korea. Neighboring countries to the DPRK, however, have not reacted preemptively or cautiously in any way, due to the fact that they’re used to routine events such as what happened this weekend. “If you were on the peninsula either in South Korea or North Korea, you wouldn’t have seen any signs of tension. You wouldn’t have seen Pyongyang being evacuated. You wouldn’t have seen border closings. You wouldn’t have seen South Koreans running to the stores to stockpile food,” says Joel Wit, a co-director of 38 North.

Despite the U.S estimation that by the year 2020 North Korea will have finally completed an ICBM capable of reaching America, it shows Kim Jong-Un’s determination to establish a modern military and nuclear program. From the American mainland, Trump has been pressuring China to put a stop to Kim Jong-Un’s nuclear experimentation, saying this weekend that if China can’t reign in the rogue nation’s nuclear program, the United States will. In turn, China has been promoting peace and an end to hostility between the two nations. U.S Vice President Mike Pence, who has recently been in South Korea, has said the following while addressing U.S service members and their families in Seoul: “Our commitment to this historic alliance with the courageous people of South Korea has never been stronger, and with your help and with God’s help, freedom will ever prevail on this peninsula.” As for South Korea, its foreign ministry said in a statement, “Our government condemns this serious threat on the Korean peninsula and overall international society.”

• North Korea-U.S. Tensions Rise

News

Protesters keep fighting government in Venezuela

• North Korea-U.S. Tensions Rise

Community

Student Council President Looks to the Year Ahead

• North Korea-U.S. Tensions Rise

News

And That’s a Wrap!

• North Korea-U.S. Tensions Rise

News

Welcome to belenvincam.com!

• North Korea-U.S. Tensions Rise

News

Congressional Debate at Belen Last Semester: Historic and Inspiring

• North Korea-U.S. Tensions Rise

News

Ignatian Walls Inspire and Amaze

• North Korea-U.S. Tensions Rise

News

Big Moves Around Campus

• North Korea-U.S. Tensions Rise

News

• North Korea-U.S. Tensions Rise

Community

• North Korea-U.S. Tensions Rise

Deacon O'Malley's Inspiring Thoughts

Jesus Needs You!

North Korea-U.S. Tensions Rise