The Student News Site of Belen Jesuit Preparatory School

Vincam

The Job Applicant

Back when the telegraph was the fastest method of long-distance communication, a young man applied for a job as a Morse Code operator. Answering an ad in the newspaper, he went to the office address that was listed. When he arrived, he entered a large, busy office filled with noise and clatter, including the sound of the telegraph in the background. A sign on the receptionist’s counter instructed job applicants to fill out a form and wait until they were summoned to enter the inner office.
The young man filled out his form and sat down with the seven other applicants in the waiting area. After a few minutes, the young man stood up, crossed the room to the door of the inner office, and walked right in. Naturally the other applicants perked up, wondering what was going on. They muttered among themselves that they hadn’t heard any summons yet. They assumed that the young man who went into the office made a mistake and would be disqualified.
Within a few minutes, however, the employer escorted the young man out of the office and said to the other applicants, “Gentlemen, thank you very much for coming, but the job has just been filled.”
The other applicants began grumbling to each other, and one spoke up saying, “Wait a minute, I don’t understand. He was the last to come in, and we never even got a chance to be interviewed. Yet he got the job. That’s not fair!”
The employer said, “I’m sorry, but all the time you’ve been sitting here, the telegraph has been ticking out the following message in Morse Code: ‘If you understand this message, then come right in. The job is yours.’ None of you heard it or understood it. This young man did. The job is his.”
We live in a world that is full of busyness and clatter, like that office. Many times we are distracted and unable to hear the still, small voice of God as he speaks to us in creation, in the Scriptures, in our friends, teachers or loved ones, or in the life and work of Jesus Christ. St. Ignatius has called us to “find God in all things.”  How are you doing?  Are you tuned in to God’s voice?   Do you find God in the ordinary events of your lives — beyond all the clatter and distractions around you?   Do you hear him when he speaks to you?  Are you listening? “This is my Son, whom I love…Listen to him!” (Matthew 17:5).
Tonight, pray the Examen and look back over your day. Identify those times where you “found God.”  Take time to express your gratitude to God for entering your life at those times, and always be listening to the “small voice of God” wherever and from whomever you hear it.

• The Job Applicant

Deacon O'Malley's Inspiring Thoughts

Jesus Needs You!

• The Job Applicant

Deacon O'Malley's Inspiring Thoughts

Forgiveness Isn’t for Wimps

• The Job Applicant

Deacon O'Malley's Inspiring Thoughts

Why We do Stations of the Cross?

• The Job Applicant

Deacon O'Malley's Inspiring Thoughts

Fish on Fridays: It’s Still a Thing

• The Job Applicant

Deacon O'Malley's Inspiring Thoughts

Are you a RAKtivist?

• The Job Applicant

Deacon O'Malley's Inspiring Thoughts

Wisdom

• The Job Applicant

Deacon O'Malley's Inspiring Thoughts

Sticks and Stones

• The Job Applicant

Deacon O'Malley's Inspiring Thoughts

Perseverance

• The Job Applicant

Deacon O'Malley's Inspiring Thoughts

Fear Not, and Trust in the Lord

• The Job Applicant

Deacon O'Malley's Inspiring Thoughts

True Friends

The Job Applicant