Vincam

• March 2MIDDLE SCHOOL EDITION LAUNCHES! MIDDLE SCHOOL MULTI-MEDIA STUDENTS BECOME VINCAM EDITORS.

Filed under Opinion, Showcase

What Belen is to me

Back to Article
Back to Article

What Belen is to me

My new friends and me at our very first sixth grade  assembly.

My new friends and me at our very first sixth grade assembly.

It feels like yesterday when it was my first day at Belen. I remember being so nervous for going to a new school and not knowing what to expect. I had only attended one other school in my whole life before Belen. Throughout the years, I have made many memories in the past three years. From riding the Ferris wheel at Tombola, to eating lunch with my friends, middle school has been an unforgettable experience.

I treasure every memory from Belen. My favorite memories were being in Mrs. Guerrero’s class with my friends during lunch. We would talk to each other and play hang man. I have also enjoyed the You’re Amazing presentations. They have inspired me and made me want to change to become better. It was also very cool to see one of the students from Little Rock Nine at the Roca Theatre. I regret the moment in which I dropped my lunch in the cafeteria. I’m still embarrassed by that moment.

The education that Belen gives is outstanding. One of my favorite classes was seventh grade English taught by Mrs. Morera. I enjoyed every book we read last year. The projects were very interesting, and I wasn’t bored in class. My least favorite class was Earth Space Science because I didn’t understand anything. I had that class in sixth grade, and I was very overwhelmed with the material being given. I feel my science has improved through middle school because of the good teachers. I definitely know more about science than before. I also like how there are many clubs that involve you with the school. Belen is more that just studies and has lots of clubs for you to join. I joined the National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) and the Photography Club. The NJHS club gave me many community service opportunities that I could do with my classmates. The Photography Club taught me about cameras and how to work them. I love that we can join clubs.

Belen’s middle school is very advanced compared to other middle schools. I enjoy that we have freedom to roam around during lunch and share the same campus as the high school. I like that the students have a choice to choose an elective they are passionate about. I also like how they expanded the electives for eighth grade and gave us more choices. The Chinese program in Belen makes me very happy because it gives students a chance to learn an important language, and it shows that Belen is becoming diverse. I also love the Hispanic Heritage night because it gives me a taste of all the different cultures we share in my school. Tombola is a very fun festival. I bump into some of my friends who don’t come to the school and we have time to catch up. Another thing I like is the Academic Awards because it motivates me to get better grades, and it also makes me feel proud of my achievements.

Belen has made its way into my heart. At first, I was always caught up in wanting to go back to my old school. After a while, I realized that Belen has much more to offer, and I slowly warmed up to the school. If I were to give you advice for middle school, it is to not stress to much.  Another piece of advice is to use these middle school years to find out what you enjoy by joining different clubs, electives, and sports. You should also be getting involved with the school activities because you can make friends through different events. I take lots of pride in my school, Belen Jesuit.

• What Belen is to me

Opinion

Should Fortnite Battle Royale Remain Free?

• Opinion

Good Times in Middle School and Football

• What Belen is to me

Opinion

Should Students Be Allowed To Use Their Phones During Lunch?

• What Belen is to me

Opinion

Field Day 2018 was the Best Yet

• What Belen is to me

Opinion

Coddling Students on College Campuses: A Frightening Trend

• What Belen is to me

Features

Belen Volunteers at Camillus House

• What Belen is to me

News

Popular Toy Store Goes Bankrupt, As Expected

• What Belen is to me

Student Life

Reflecting on my Middle School Years at Belen

• What Belen is to me

Opinion

• What Belen is to me

Creative Corner

Winners Announced for Second Annual Poetry Slam

The Student News Site of Belen Jesuit Preparatory School
What Belen is to me