Vincam

• March 2MIDDLE SCHOOL EDITION LAUNCHES! MIDDLE SCHOOL MULTI-MEDIA STUDENTS BECOME VINCAM EDITORS.

Filed under Showcase

Making the Most of March Madness

Printable+March+Madness+brackets+are+available+for+free+download+on+the+Internet.+
Printable March Madness brackets are available for free download on the Internet.

Have you ever heard of March Madness or the ESPN tournament challenge? March Madness is the college basketball NCAA national tournament. Teams are organized into four regions which are West, Midwest, South and East. The tournament consists of only Division 1 college basketball teams, and they are all given a seed from 1-16 based on their record. There are 16 teams in every region. The first seed plays the 16th seed, the second plays the 15th, and the list continues on to the eighth and ninth seeds playing each other.

ESPN, a popular sports station, hosts a tournament challenge where anyone can try to make the perfect bracket of the tournament. The bracket starts with the original 64 teams, then down by half to 32, then the sweet sixteen, elite eight, final four, and then the much-anticipated finals. The bracket then tells you to
elect your winner of the tournament, and you also get to predict the final score. If you get a bracket that is 100% correct, you get 1 million dollars every year for the rest of your life. ESPN provides an app, ESPN TC, which lets you control your bracket. The tournament schedule is released around March 12, and the brackets officially lock on March 15 so that no changes can be made.

Every year, there are always major upsets in brackets, meaning the lower-seeded teams sometimes beat the higher-seeded ones. All these upsets cause madness for the fans of the losing teams and for the people whose brackets are incorrect. Since this all happens in March, it has become known as March Madness. Students all over the nation are calling March Madness impossible to predict and win.

“The bracket is ‘absolutely unpredictable,'” said junior Sebastian López-Ibañez when asked to describe the bracket in two words. Millions of people make an entry for a chance to win millions of dollars throughout their lives, and all leave empty-handed. But will you?

• Making the Most of March Madness

Opinion

What Belen is to me

• Making the Most of March Madness

Creative Corner

Winners Announced for Second Annual Poetry Slam

• Making the Most of March Madness

News

Passing the Sunshine Protection Act

• Making the Most of March Madness

News

Welcome to belenvincam.com’s Middle School Edition

• Making the Most of March Madness

Features

Students Impressed by “Run to the Fire” Presentation

• Making the Most of March Madness

News

First Confirmation Held At Belen Jesuit in 27 Years

• Making the Most of March Madness

Opinion

Should Students Be Allowed To Use Their Phones During Lunch?

• Making the Most of March Madness

Sports

Middle School Track and Field Leaves its Mark

• Making the Most of March Madness

News

Are Bitcoins Becoming the Next Big Thing?

• Making the Most of March Madness

News

Dwayne Wade Returns to Miami

The Student News Site of Belen Jesuit Preparatory School
Making the Most of March Madness