Vincam

• March 2MIDDLE SCHOOL EDITION LAUNCHES! MIDDLE SCHOOL MULTI-MEDIA STUDENTS BECOME VINCAM EDITORS.

Filed under Features, Showcase

Belen Volunteers at Camillus House

Belen student Alejandro Vazquez serving juice for the homeless at Camillus House.

Almost every month this year, Belen has taken a group of middle school students to volunteer at Camillus House, a non-profit agency that provides humanitarian services to poor and homeless men, women and children in Miami-Dade County.  Luckily, I had the chance to be a part of that group last month. Our school takes different groups of students in order to give many the opportunity to learn about poverty in Miami. During each visit, students take a tour of Camillus House and volunteer in the kitchen.

When our group of 15 arrived at Camillus House, we took a tour of the campus. Many students were surprised by the size of the location. They saw the dining hall, the clothing rooms, and the rehabilitation rooms.  It has grown a lot because when Camillus House first opened over 50 years ago, it was just a small overnight shelter.  Now, many of its employees are actually former clients at Camillus House.  Some of them talked to us about their life experience. One worker reminded us that everything we have can be taken except what we create.

At the kitchen, they served two lunches, one for the handicapped and one for everyone else. They served soup and drinks and gave out snack bars. All the homeless men and women we fed, and they were very grateful for us taking the time to volunteer for them and give them food. The people were very kind to each other and to us. I found that what they claim on their web site is very true: “Every service offered at Camillus is carried out with the deeply held belief that every human being is precious in the eyes of the Lord and deserves love, respect and a chance to live a dignified life.”

• Belen Volunteers at Camillus House

Features

Cinderella Madness is Pure Madness

• Belen Volunteers at Camillus House

Features

Bluetooth Benefits can be Lifesaving

• Belen Volunteers at Camillus House

Features

Making the Most of March Madness

• Belen Volunteers at Camillus House

Features

The Roller Coaster of Middle School

• Belen Volunteers at Camillus House

Features

Students Impressed by “Run to the Fire” Presentation

• Belen Volunteers at Camillus House

Features

Looking Back At My Middle School Years

• Belen Volunteers at Camillus House

Features

Trust the Process

• Belen Volunteers at Camillus House

Features

Football Training in Full Gear for Upcoming Varsity and JV Season

• Belen Volunteers at Camillus House

Features

Lacrosse Middle School Team Prepares for the Upcoming Season

• Belen Volunteers at Camillus House

Deacon O'Malley's Inspiring Thoughts

Why we do Stations of the Cross

The Student News Site of Belen Jesuit Preparatory School
Belen Volunteers at Camillus House