The Student News Site of Belen Jesuit Preparatory School

Vincam

Filed under Features

Belen’s Model United Nations Thrives and Prospers

Thinking of joining? Francisco Sanguino '19, Belen MUN member, deconstructs the program.

Seventy-one years ago, the world’s greatest leaders gathered in an effort to advocate unity amongst warring nations. The whole of earth had just gotten out of the largest conflict in modern times, and there was an obligation to rebuild what had been lost. The end product of this congregation was the creation of the United Nations organization. The goal of it all went far beyond just finding solutions to problems. It embraced communication and diplomacy between individuals in ways that were in-congruent to the time period. Since then, this alliance has greatly extended its influence throughout the world and now serves as a perfect example of working together for a common goal.

These characteristics have caught the attention of various schools worldwide, and for that reason, they have chosen to establish their own model UN clubs. These clubs instill leadership and higher order thinking in each one of its participants. Belen Jesuit has followed this path of excellence, and it too has its own MUN club. This club has demonstrated the caliber of our school in all its competitions throughout the US. All of its participants hold a plethora of skills that distinguish them from the rest. Student members work day and night preparing speeches and practicing their speaking skills in order to succeed. Not coincidentally, this hard work has paid off, as the Belen Jesuit MUN team has received attention from international leaders, competitions, and has earned a number one ranking in the state of Florida.

In order to understand what it means to be a MUN member, one must truly realize the structure of Model United Nations as a whole. The basis for it all lies in its committees. These committees hold their own individual purposes which can range from human rights to medicine distribution. Participants are assigned a nation and a committee which they must then deeply study and understand. In competitions, they discuss major world problems and propose ideas to solve them. These propositions are then debated in order to figure out how and why they would be of benefit to a majority of the nations in the committee. The discussions are often subdivided by small intermissions where delegates can discuss their ideas. In the process, participants create alliances with people from around the world in order to enforce their resolution for any specific issue. Competitions are often described as the culmination of your studies as it is the end product of all the information you have gathered. The gratification that comes from this can only be described as incredible.

“Model UN isn’t just for future politicians. It teaches you skills everyone needs in their lives like public speaking, diplomacy, and leadership. We’re blessed to have such amazing delegates and the number one team in the state,” said Eddie Briscoe ’17, Director General of Belen’s MUN.

Now that you understand the way of MUN, you must know the benefits that come from joining the club. First and foremost, the decision to join should be indifferent to your career path, as MUN helps everyone. Whether you’re an artist seeking to sell your artwork, or a proficient businessman at an important meeting, MUN sustains you with the necessary skills needed to excel. Participation in the club enacts a strengthening of your leadership abilities, a refining of your public speaking dexterity, an advancement in your writing skills, and improvisation in your ability to formally discuss issues. MUN also provides you with an exposition to different cultures and backgrounds which you don’t see every day. As it stands, these qualities are not obtainable just anywhere else. I should also add that exposure to this remarkable club stays with you forever.

“Model UN is an engaging experience where students can learn about politics and international relations in a fast-paced environment. We are proud to have such an amazing program here at Belen Jesuit, and our delegates give us their passion and dedication,” said Daniel Romero ’17, Secretary General of Belen’s MUN.

I, for one, have experienced MUN first hand. I truly understand the significance of the club. By now it may sound cliche, but being there, debating and discussing ideas, is truly something I will not forget for a long time. Meeting as a team every week to discuss different ideas strengthened not only my knowledge of the subject, but also the belief in myself to be successful in my goal. Upon arrival at a competition, I felt a mix of emotions ranging from excitement to nervousness as to what lay ahead. Nevertheless, I was ready to begin this experience. As the conference developed, I started meeting people that lived thousands of miles away, and it was then that I realized these things only happen once. At the end of the day, that is what counts. Absolutely no one can take away what you have learned and experienced in your lifetime.

In conclusion, joining the MUN team at Belen Jesuit will be for the complete benefit of you. It is knowledge and value that are of the utmost importance to your future, and the skills that you take from it will help you throughout the rest of your life. But these benefits can only be earned through hard work, dedication to your studies, and the absolute desire in yourself to achieve greatness.

“It’s the most challenging, yet the most rewarding academic club at Belen,” says Dr. Octavio Ramos, Club Director.

• Belen’s Model United Nations Thrives and Prospers

Features

Project Unify Special Olympics Teams Go for Gold!

Features

“You’re Amazing” Presentation Hits Home

Community

Let’s Get Close Up

Features

A Political Adventure at our State Capitol

Features

Father Cartaya Recalls his Days as a Belen Student

Features

The Summer of Journalism and Revelations

Features

Are you Liking onCampus so far?

News

Protesters keep fighting government in Venezuela

Community

Student Council President Looks to the Year Ahead

Deacon O'Malley's Inspiring Thoughts

Jesus Needs You!